Sunday, 27 August 2017
Welcome to the Cycosports Nongsa Challenge. We’re looking forward to a fun and safe day of racing. Below is a summary of relevant / important information. Please take time to read this so you know exactly what is happening on the day.
Harbourfront Ferry Terminal
- The ferry departs from HARBOUR FRONT TERMINAL. (NOT TANAH MERAH)
- There is ample parking upstairs for cars but it’s $15+ charge for the day’s parking
- Race check-in is at the Cruise Check-In Area (ground floor) – Use Entrance D
- Check-in between 5.15am and 6.30am. Counter closes 6.30am sharp. We will not wait for you.
- Check your bib # - http://my.raceresult.com/79579/participants?lang=en#0_7F7310
- Fit your seat post sticker to your bike and your passport sticker immediately
- We suggest fitting your chip to the front fork now so that it is not lost (loss chips SG$100)
- Please proceed through customs and immigration to wait for your ferry departure
- DO NOT FORGET YOUR PASSPORT
- Please take off all accessories such as computers that may get lost in transit
- Each bike is handled by Cycosports and individually wrapped in a blanket
- Our team will do the best we can to ensure your bike is protected but can’t take responsibility for any damage. If you are worried about your paint, use additional extra frame protection.
- Tri Bikes / Tri Bars are not allowed. Bottle cages behind the seat are not allowed
- Bike cameras can be mounted to the bike but are not allowed on helmets
ARRIVAL – BATAM CENTRE
We expect to arrive at approximately 7.15am local time (Indonesia is 1 hour behind Singapore).
Immigration and setup will take about an hour. Don’t stress - we will only leave when everyone is ready.
- On arrival you will be given a bike (it will not be your bike) when leaving the ferry
- Head to immigration showing your passport to Customs and depositing it as requested
- APAC Card Holders – please ensure your card and passport are in a zip lock bag
- Customs will do passport stamping and return passports at the end of the day
- If you are staying over or taking a different ferry home, go through NORMAL immigration
- Once through immigration, proceed through customs and out (turn LEFT) to the Left side of terminal carpark.
- This year the start is outside at the right side of the Terminal Carpark (not across the road)
- Place the bike on the rack corresponding to the race number on the seat post of the bike
- Once you are completely setup, prepare your personal bag for deposit (use the bag tag)
- You will not see your bag again until after the race, at Turi Beach Hotel
- If you are a local Indonesian or have stayed over, you can pick up your race number on the morning of the race (we will bring the numbers on the ferry with us)
- Once all bikes are in the holding area, proceed to fit your chip if you have not done so
- Prepare yourself and your bike. Mechanics, pumps, cable ties and scissors are on standby
- Check your bike with a short ride (don’t go silly as you have a 12km neutral warm-up)
- Toilets are in the Ferry Terminal.
- Peloton 1: Men’s Open Elite & Men’s Masters
- Peloton 2: Men’s Junior A, Supermasters, Veterans and Women’s Elite Open
- Peloton 3: Men’s Sport and Women’s Sport
- Peloton departure will be when everyone is ready (estimated 8am) at 3-5 min intervals
- There is a 12km neutralised roll out to the road parallel with the airport. The start of the road is very rough so please avoid / call out any holes.
- Please be extra careful on the road after the airport heading towards Nongsa as this is a single lane road on both sides. Please stay to the left and obey all road rules.
- Note – No roads are closed so please maintain all road rules and follow police orders. We would encourage pelotons to only begin “racing proper” once they hit the circuit.
- At some point a faster peloton may overtake your peloton. Please alert the slower peloton early. The slower peloton should keep left. Do not interfere with the other peloton or try to tag on.
- Awal Bros and Batam Public Hospital are providing ambulances to follow each peloton
- We have additional Singapore medics and a nurse, plus an ambulance on standby in Singapore
- While we can be there in an emergency, we need you to reduce the chances by:
- Ensuring you are hydrated and keep hydrated throughout the race
- Coat up in sunscreen, the road is exposed
- Stop and seek assistance if you are suffering any heat effects or chest pains
- Keep aware of the road around you, look ahead and call out to pre-empt any dangers
- Think of your friends and your other cyclists around you
WATER SUPPORT - START WITH 2 FULL BOTTLES
- Mobile drink support starts once you are on the Nongsa Circuit
- Static drink station (2nd hill after finish turn) – Volunteers will be passing out bottles
DO NOT THROW YOUR BOTTLES - Please drop them in the area before the water stop. We will need to recycle and ask for your assistance to exchange your empty bottles for full ones.
- A Maxxi Bike mechanic will be on hand at the start for last minutes fixes and tuning.
- Neutral wheels are provided with our motorbike.
- Racing tubulars or disc brake wheels? - Please bring your own spare wheels and label these as we can’t guarantee a replacement wheel for you. Alternatively bring a canister of PitStop.
RACE CUT OFF
- Due to time constraints we will need to “cut off” the race at a reasonable time. We will run the timing system as long as possible. In the event of a major storm, timing may cease earlier.
- A sweeper truck will rotate on the course picking up anyone who wishes to finish early. At the specific cut-off we will direct those still on the course to head for the finish.
- Note – You are responsible for counting your laps. Best bet is to download the Strava map
- Peloton 1 & 2 will complete 7 laps: https://www.strava.com/clubs/42828/group_events/85930
- Peloton 3 will complete 5 laps: https://www.strava.com/clubs/42828/group_events/85931
RACE COMMISAIRES & RESULTS
- Although not a UCI event, Cycosports values professionalism and fair play
- Please note that no external vehicle support (for water or otherwise) is allowed
- In the event of heavy rain, Cycosports may have to shorten or even cancel races. As such events are outside of our control and safety being paramount, no refunds are provided.
- As 2017 has mixed pelotons, there are no KOM or Team prizes. This year is an individual race so you can work with anyone you wish to (i.e. free for all across Pelotons)
- Results will be published here - http://my.raceresult.com/79579/
- Any dispute regarding a top 5 placing must be lodged within 15 minutes of results published
AFTER THE RACE
- After the finish, proceed to the bike racks located in the Turi Beach carpark.
- Ready your bike for loading onto the trucks (while you eat they will return to the terminal)
- Hand in your TIMING CHIP (loss of timing chip is SG$100)
- You are most welcome to use the Turi Beach swimming pool.
- Please bring a towel, wet wipes and deodorant
- Lunch will be served buffet style – vegetarian dishes are limited
- Prize giving ceremony is around 1:30pm - 2pm
- There is happy hour pricing on beer but please bring Indonesian Rupiah
- Depart (via bus) for the ferry terminal at 2:30pm for departure ferry at 4:30-4:45pm.
ARRIVAL AT HARBOURFRONT
- Stay on the ferry until there is room to exit and take a bike
- Take the bike given to you (it will not be yours) and walk up the ramp to the bike Porters who will take the bikes to holding racks
- Proceed through Passport Control, then through to customs
- Pick up your bike from the racks (outside) and head home
You are riding on public roads. The police will warn oncoming traffic as you approach but keep on the left hand side. Bear in mind at certain points you will have an oncoming peloton approaching at speed.
Enjoy the Day – Ride Safe
email@example.com, +65 9690 6077
What to Bring - Checklist
Feel free to bring a small bag. We will have a secure truck to check bags into before the race.
( ) PASSPORT
( ) Your Bike (Checked and Ready to Race)
( ) Helmet
( ) Shoes
( ) Cycle Computer (heart rate strap)
( ) Team Kit (Bibs/shorts, Jersey, Gloves, Socks)
( ) Race Food: Gels, Bars and other Race Nutrition
( ) Sunglasses and Sunscreen
( ) Two Bottles (Full of your favorite electrolyte)
( ) Spare tube, levers and CO2 (in case your off the back and no race wheels nearby)
( ) Chamois Cream
( ) Indonesia Rupiah (In case you need to buy a water or a beer)
( ) Bag for all your stuff (Please attach your bag tag before depositing)
( ) Change of clothes & shoes
( ) Spare Club Jersey (for the podium in case you win)
( ) Sunburn Cream
( ) Towel / Shampoo
( ) Wetwipes / Deodorant (poor man’s shower)
( ) Extra electrolytes (to help with rehydration after the race)
( ) Plastic Bag (for your not so fresh kit)
( ) More Indonesian Rupiah (for more beers – restaurants are not supposed to accept SG$)
Version 1.1 Updated 20/08/2017