TOUR DE BARELANG RACE BRIEFING
Saturday, 13th May 2017
Welcome to the Tour de Barelang 2017. We are looking forward to a fun and safe day of racing. Below is a summary of relevant / important information. Please take time to read this so you know exactly what is happening on the day.
Harbourfront Ferry Terminal
- The ferry departs from HARBOUR FRONT TERMINAL. (NOT TANAH MERAH)
- There is ample parking upstairs for cars but it’s $15+ charge for the day’s parking
- Check-in is at the Cruise Check-In Area (ground floor) – Use Entrance D
- Check-in between 5.00am and 6.30am. Counter closes 6.30am sharp. We will not wait for you.
- Check bib # – http://my.raceresult.com/72228/ and collect your kit (based on bib number)
- Fit your seat post sticker, timing chip (front fork either side) - Large Cable Tie
- Fix your bagtag with the small cable tie. Fix the passport sticker to the front of your passport
- If you have not paid for any part of the event, then please bring cash to settle any final amounts
- Proceed through customs and immigration to wait for your ferry departure just after 7am
- DO NOT FORGET YOUR PASSPORT
- Please take off all accessories such as computers and saddle-bags that may get lost in transit
- Each bike is handled by Cycosports and individually wrapped in a blanket
- Our team will do the best we can to ensure pedals do not clash with frames
- Bike cameras can be mounted to the bike but are not allowed on helmets
- You MUST bring a HELMET and WEAR IT
ARRIVAL AT BATAM CENTRE
We expect to arrive at approximately 7.00am local time (Indonesia is 1 hour behind Singapore).
Immigration and setup will take about an hour. Don’t stress - we will only leave when everyone is ready.
- On arrival you will be given a bike (it will not be your bike) when leaving the ferry
- Head to immigration showing your passport to Customs and depositing it as requested
- If you are taking a different ferry home, other than Cycosports ferry, you need to go through normal immigration and keep your passport with you.
- For those taking the Cycosports ferry, your passport will be processed during the race and returned to you at departure from Sekupang.
- Proceed with the bike through immigration and head across the street to the open Plaza
- We will guide you across the road to the open Plaza area
- Place the bike on rack corresponding to the number on the seat post of the bike
- Once you are completely setup, prepare your personal bag for deposit (use the bag tag)
- You will not see your bag again until after the ride, at the restaurant
- Prepare yourself and your bike. Mechanics, pumps and cable ties are on standby
- Check your bike with a short ride (don’t go silly as you have a 12km neutral warm-up)
- Sunscreen and water will also be readily available
- Find a shady spot, relax and wait for your Peloton’s 10 minute bell & countdown
- Each peloton will depart the Plaza under police escort at 5 minute intervals
- Peloton departure will be when everyone is ready (estimated to be about 8am)
- We have 3 Pelotons - Cat 1,2 and 3 (which includes women)
- Note – No roads are closed so please maintain all road rules and follow police orders
- The race route is here - https://www.strava.com/clubs/42828/group_events/150603
- Awal Bros and Batam Public Hospital are providing ambulances to follow each peloton
- We have 3 additional Singapore medics and a nurse, plus an ambulance on standby in Singapore
- While we can be there in an emergency, we need you to reduce the chances by:
- Ensuring you are hydrated and keep hydrated throughout the ride
- Coat up in sunscreen, the road is exposed
- Stop and seek assistance if you are suffering any heat effects or chest pains
- Keep aware of the road around you, look ahead and call out to pre-empt any dangers
WATER SUPPORT - START WITH 2 FULL BOTTLES
- Mobile drink support starts at 30km from the ferry terminal and will stop 10km before the finish
- Bottles contain either Water or Pure Electrolyte – please call out what you want
- Static drink stations (A: 50km, B: At the turn-75km, C: Caution opposite side of the road-100km)
- There are also village shops along the way but you will need local currency.
DO NOT THROW YOUR BOTTLES - Please exchange your empty bottles for full bottles. There are 1000 bottles for all categories, which is 4 per rider and you will need to drink more than that across the race. We will need to recycle and ask for your assistance to exchange your empty bottles for full ones.
- A Maxxi Bike mechanic will be on hand for last minutes fixes and tuning
- Limited Rolf Prima neutral wheels will be in the support cars (all 11 speed)
- We strongly suggest bringing your own spare tube, tire levers and pump
- There is no support for Disc Brake Wheels
RIDE CUT OFF
- Due to time constraints we will need to “cut off” the ride at a reasonable time.
- A sweeper truck will follow the last riders. If the sweeper team encourage you to “jump in”, they are politely telling you it’s time to head for a shower, hydration and food. Remember you may be holding up everyone else from returning to Singapore on time.
RACE COMMISAIRES & RESULTS
- Although not a UCI event, Cycosports uses commissaries to ensure professionalism and fair play
- Please note that no external vehicle support (for water or otherwise) is allowed
- In the event of heavy rain, Cycosports may have to shorten or even cancel races. As such events are outside of our control and safety being paramount, no refunds can be provided.
- Results will be published online here - my.raceresult.com/?????????/?lang=en
- Top 5 riders disputes must be lodged within 15 minutes of results published online
- The finish line is on the apex of the Barelang Bridge
- AFTER you finish, proceed down the hill and turn LEFT into the Barelang Seafood restaurant
- Once you arrive:
- 1) let our team cut your timing chip and sign you in (lost chips charge $100)
- 2) hydrate with cold drinks
- 3) Ready your bike for loading onto the trucks
- 4) Collect you bag from the bag drop area
- At the restaurant there are minimal / basic showers (Bring a towel, wet wipes and deodorant)
- Lunch will be served buffet style – vegetarian dishes are limited
- There is Beer – and it’s a great price but bring Indonesian Rupiah (needed by law)
- Depart (via bus) for the ferry terminal at 2:30pm for return ferry at around 4:15pm.
- Passports will be distributed at the Sekupang terminal. Once we get the passports back and they are sorted, we will call passports in groups of 10. Please be patient and wait for your number to be called.
ARRIVAL AT HARBOURFRONT
- Stay on your ferry until there is room to exit and take a bike
- Take the bike given to you (it will not be yours) and walk up the ramp to the bike Porters who will take the bikes to holding racks
- Proceed LEFT through Passport Control, then through to customs
- Pick up your bike from the racks and head home via customs
You are riding on public roads. The police will warn oncoming traffic as you approach but keep on the left hand side. Bear in mind at certain points you will have an oncoming peloton approaching at speed.
Enjoy the Day – Ride Safe
firstname.lastname@example.org, +65 9690 6077
What to Bring - Checklist
Feel free to bring a small bag. We will have a secure truck to check bags into before the race.
( ) PASSPORT
( ) Your Bike (Checked and Ready to Race)
( ) Helmet
( ) Shoes
( ) Cycle Computer (heart rate strap)
( ) Team Kit (Bibs/shorts, Jersey, Gloves, Socks)
( ) Race Food: Gels, Bars and other Race Nutrition (EPO stays at home)
( ) Sunglasses and Sunscreen (we will also provide sunscreen)
( ) Two Bottles (Full of your favorite electrolyte)
( ) Spare tube, levers and CO2 (in case your off the back and no race wheels nearby)
( ) Chamois Cream, Sunscreen
( ) Indonesia Rupiah (In case you need to buy a water or a beer)
( ) Bag for all your stuff (Please attach your bag tag before depositing)
( ) Change of clothes & shoes
( ) Spare Club Jersey (for the podium in case you win)
( ) Sunburn Cream
( ) Towel / Shampoo
( ) Wetwipes / Deodorant (poor man’s shower)
( ) Extra electrolytes (to help with rehydration after the race)
( ) Plastic Bag (for your not so fresh kit)
( ) More Indonesian Rupiah (for more beers – restaurants are not supposed to accept SG$)
Version 1.1 Updated 26/04/2017